Thursday, June 14, 2012

Tea Stained Coffee Filter Tree

I recently made a coffee filter tree and I think it turned out pretty darn cute! I started by staining the coffee filters with tea. Just brew some tea and then soak the filters in it. I left mine in the tea for about 10-15 minutes and when I took them out I squeezed the excess tea out. I then took the tea bags and blotted the filters so that some of them would have a mottled look. I separated the filters a little and let them dry over night.  The next day they were still damp so I used a hair dryer to finish off the job :) Just make sure that you hold the dryer straight over the filters and not at an angle...otherwise coffee filters will be flying every where!!! That's me speaking from experience ;)


 Next, wrap the filters around a pencil and
 hot glue them to your styrofoam cone. 
Start at the bottom and work your way to the top. 



  You can glue a piece of felt or fabric on the 
bottom to give it a more finished look.




This same process makes a really cool wreath!
At Christmas spray it with glitter spray for an iridescent look.
Three different size trees placed together would look really
good as a centerpiece for a dining table or coffee table.

xoxo
Josie



No comments: