Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Mmm..Apple Pie!

Fall is just around the corner! 
I can smell it in the air. There has been an undeniable crispness to the air 
every evening this week and it makes me want to bake, bake, bake!
 By the end of summer I'm looking forward to  "fall" food and fun!

I thought these apples looked so beautiful !

My apple peeler/corer/slicer ..it really speeds things up!
 When my kids were little they loved to crank the handle





Ready to be "popped" into the oven!
Apple Pie

10 - inch 2 crust 
Pastry for 10 inch two crust pie
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground cinnamon
dash of salt
8 cups thinly sliced apples (I use 9-10)
3 T margarine or butter

Heat oven to 425
Prepare pastry.
Mix sugar, flour, nutmeg, cinnamon,and salt. Stir in apples. Pour into pastry lined pie plate. Dot with butter. Cover with top pastry that has slits in it; seal and flute edges. Cover edges with foil until the last 15 minutes of baking. Bake until crust is brown and juices start to bubble through the slits, 40-50 minutes.
600 calories per serving! Yikes, but it's worth it!

French Apple Pie         This is the one I typically make. Watch out... It is super sweet.

omit butter and top apple filling with Crumb Topping: Mix 1 cup all purpose flour with 1/2 c butter, and 1/2 c packed brown sugar. Should have a crumbly texture. Sprinkle over apples and cover with foil the last 10 minutes of baking. Bake for 50 minutes. Serve warm with vanilla bean ice cream.


APPLE PIE in a JAR!!





Until next time!
xoxo

Love
Josie


No comments: