Monday, May 26, 2014

Photography Class Artwork/Photo Transfer Project

I absolutely loved this project! I think it was my FAV out of all the things we did in this semester's art class! Once you get the hang of it, photo transferring is so easy! If you have never tried it, I recommend you get the book Spice Up Your Photos by Nitsa Malik. It has more than one great project idea for photo transferring. I think that the one I did is probably the easiest.

SUPPLIES
  • laser copy of a photo that you have taken
  • canvas board
  • spray bottle
  • soft rag or sponge
  • Mod Podge or some other gel medium
  • sponge brush or a medium size flat brush
  • clear finish
  • patience! lol


STEP 1: Take some black and white photos (or color) of some of your favorite things. Print the one that you like best on regular copy paper (not photo paper). Use an image that has a good balance of black and white. Lots of contrast is good.

STEP 2: Use a sponge brush to apply Mod Podge to a canvas board that is the size of your image. Also, apply the Mod Podge to the surface of your image. Let it set until it is slightly tacky. 

STEP 3: Gently lay the image face down on the canvas and smooth all the air bubbles out. It is very important that all air bubbles have been smoothed away or you will have an epic fail. That happened to me the first time I tried this. 

STEP 4: Let it dry.....be patient! This could take as long as 24 hrs. YES! That Long!!!

STEP 5: After it has dried, use a spray bottle to wet the back of your image. 

STEP 6: Use your fingers to start rubbing off the paper. I even used a soft washcloth to help get it off, but don't rub to hard. If you notice the photo below, I was even able to peel the paper off in sections. Just remember to be gentle.

STEP 7: If you want use paint or other materials to jazz up your photo before you seal it. I used gold metallic paint to put accents on mine before I sprayed it with a clear sealant.



Below is my final photo....I love it because it has a vintage vibe to it. 
Plus, it is one of the many photos that I took of my daughter for this year's prom.



LUV LUV ART AND MY GIRL!
xoxox
Josie

No comments: