Sunday, August 24, 2014

Strawberry Spinach Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing

I love summer time! I love that the sun comes up early and sets late! I love pony tails and flip flops...cut off jeans and tank tops! Summer is a time to renew friendships and kick up your feet! A time to enjoy  back yard gardens and swimming pools! And to top off your summer, fresh produce from the local farmers market is an absolute must! Mmmm...the thought of corn on the cob from the farmer out in Salt Rock!!!! Now I'm really getting hungry!
I want to share my favorite summer salad with you and it is so easy to make! 

STRAWBERRY SPINACH SALAD 
with POPPY SEED DRESSING!!

If you can get locally grown produce to make this salad then do it! Locally grown equals even better. A couple of weeks ago, I bought locally grown strawberries and they were simply divine! They were not those over grown ones like you get in the supermarket. Generally the large ones are tasteless and have a pale or white inner flesh. These were smaller and a deep red all the way through the berry. Simply mouth watering and very sweet!

All you need for this salad:
baby spinach
sliced strawberries
blueberries (optional)
purple onion thinly sliced in rings
feta cheese
almonds or pecans (optional)
grilled chicken (optional)
Sometimes I make this with mandarin oranges.
Put the feta on right before serving!!

Poppy Seed Dressing: 
I got this from a friend years ago!
Put all of these ingredients in a blender
1 cup of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 1/2 cup oil ( vegetable oil or grape seed oil)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
5 tablespoons orange juice
1/2 chopped onion (white, yellow, or sweet)

Now that you have your salad and dressing made, don't forget your sweet tea! I like to put fresh mint leaves or a combination of orange and lemon slices in mine
I hope you are having a great summer!
xoxox
Josie


No comments: